Thursday, August 25, 2005

find out what it means to me

It was 5:15 when my plane lowered its belly to the ocean and touched down at logan. The family sitting adjacent to me was both nervous and excited about how close we were to the ocean. I remember that excitement- I had it too the first time I watched bushy green trees fade into rows upon rows of paper thin houses. At 5:30 I checked my watch and heard the guy behind me- two earrings (one for each ear) answer his cell phone, “Yeah, we just landed, I’ll meet you at baggage claim,” and all the usual terminal jargon. I looked out the window at the baggage trucks and accepted the feeling of being home- the feeling that no one would be greeting me at baggage claim. The anticipation of vacation was replaced with a vague, comfortable familiarity, which grew along the subway tracks eventually giving way to a full, bright smile, once I stepped onto the street.
I can’t explain why I belong here, other than to simply say: this city has kicked my ass. And for an arrogant, typecast, disorganized, absurd, wicked city- I respect it for just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home