Wednesday, December 01, 2004

one less sock sleeping alone tonight

This morning, 9:43 AM, I'm walking off the bus when I feel something drop behind me. I look down and there on the floor, in a position I would expect to find a hat or a glove, lay a sock. My cheeks sting pink upon recognition. My brown sock is lying on the floor of the bus. Furtively glancing around I 'm hesitating, wondering, realizing the last place I saw this mysterious sock was on my foot, yesterday. Somehow, overnight perhaps, it has managed to escape my laundry bag and follow me here. Had I not turned and noticed it there on the floor, this might have been its final destination. People are pushing past, anxious to get off the bus, as the bus driver yells back to me from the driver's seat, "Is that yours?" I pick it up, confused, embarrassed, somehow satisfied in finding the sock I wasn't even aware I had been missing. "They're little rascals these guys, always disappearing," I reply to the bus driver who gives a knowing smile. Exactly what he knows, I can't be sure, but I do know that there's one less sock sleeping alone tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home