Tuesday, July 13, 2004

lost and gone forever

i once read in my social psych book that anonymity is a dangerous thing. if people feel too anonymous, they are tempted to do things they wouldn't normally do, merely because they can get away with it. this might seem absurd, but when the realization of total anonymity actually struck me, the freedom was overwhelming. i formulated a list of things I will do now that i am anonymous. this list (which i never actually recorded- just entertained in my mind as i picked out my groceries) was exhilarating, and the thought of being a prime example right out of a social psych book was mildly tempting. I felt slightly loon walking around the market with this huge, knowing smile on my face.
it wasn't until the walk home I realized the repercussions of this anonymity. it's not that i can disappear in the crowd. it's that i already have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home